The Wall Trick is the most efficient way to clear certain locations (ex. Bunker Alfa) in Last Day On Earth (LDOE) by enabling survivors to kill zombies while sustaining little to no damage to themselves. There are no illegal downloads needed for this trick, nor do you need to mod your version of LDOE. It’s completely free! All you need is knowledge of how zombies are programmed to attack and a bit of skill.
What is the Wall Trick?
The Wall Trick is where a survivor uses a wall to shield themselves from a zombie’s attack. The survivor can then launch counterattacks in the intervals between the zombie’s attack by running out from behind the wall before running back behind the wall to dodge the next attack.
How does it work?
The only thing that’s required for this trick to work is a wall (hence the name), a weapon and the zombie you’re attacking. The mechanics of it are simple:
- Get zombie to chase you (sneak attack it if you can or simply run in front of it).
- Run to a wall that is double sided (meaning you can be on one side and the zombie can be on the opposite side) and use it as a shield between you and the zombie.
- Adjust the zombie so it’s near the edge of the wall or the entrance to door in the wall but is still unable to damage you with its attacks.
- Attack the zombie in the intervals between its attack by running out from behind the wall.
- Hide behind the wall when the zombie attacks.
- Repeat 4 and 5 until the zombie/s are dead.
Here’s a short video of steps 4 and 5.
Why does it work?
All zombies have an attack range (imagine it like a small invisible circle around the zombie). When you step into that attack range, the zombie is programmed to attack you. When you step out of that attack range, the zombie is programmed to follow you until you’re back inside its attack range so that it can attack you again.
The wall trick manipulates the programming of the zombie by placing yourself behind a wall yet still within the range of the zombie’s attack. The zombie cannot kill you through the wall (just like you cannot kill the zombie through the wall) but also cannot move around the wall because it “thinks” it is attacking you.
You can adjust the position of a zombie by moving out of its attack range. When out of the zombie’s attack range, the zombie’s programming will trace out a pathway that leads to you and will continue to follow that pathway until you’re back in its attack range. By running in and out of the zombie’s attack range, you can readjust the position of the zombie little by little.
Where does it work?
These are locations (but are not limited to) where the wall trick works:
(Purple marks on the map are where you can use the wall trick)
- If there is more than one zombie at the wall either:
- Adjust them so that they hit at the same time. You can do this by running out of their attack range and back in (same as adjusting their position).
- If one zombie is closer to the edge/corner where you are doing the wall trick and the other is further away, you can wall trick the closest zombie without being hit by the second one. This is due to the fact that the angle which you attack on enables you to hit the first zombie but not the second one and vice versa.
- Toxic Bloaters are difficult to position for the wall trick. If you’re having difficulties dealing with two of them at the same time, it might be better to just kill one of them first before walling tricking the other.
- Hungry Chomper attacks are different to any other zombie when wall tricking. Instead of sliding out right after they attack, wait a second before sliding out to retaliate. You should effectively be sliding back behind cover right as they hit you.
- You are protected from Brawler roars if you hide behind a door at the PD station.
- Use fast weapons like the crowbar for the wall trick.
- Practice on Floater Bloaters and Toxic Abominations before going up against Frenzied Giants and Savage Giants.
If you have any more questions please feel free to ask them in the comments.